Thursday, September 17, 2009

Ho Hum.

Well, as much as I hate to say this, we are not coming home this weekend. Elliott's oxygen episodes continue and the doctor is now saying he wants him here for 4-5 days after his last episode to make sure he is really over them. So, who knows when his last episode may be? I have not handled this news very well. I was really hoping we would be going home and now I don't even know when it may be. I don't know what we are going to do yet. A part of me really wants to come home for this next week. I'm almost sure Elliott won't be going anywhere for another week, so that's something I'm thinking about. Or I could just stay and wait it out. I just know the time would go so much faster if I were at home for a few days to be with Brett and just be in my own home.

Anyway, Elliott's eye exam showed that he has ROP in his left eye. It is a condition that can cause poor vision, and is common in preemies. The eye doctor said it is very mild and 95% of the time it corrects itself without any treatment, so not to worry. His blood count is still at 29, but his other number which tells them how fast he is producing red blood cells is up to 10 so they are happy with that. They just still want his other number above 30. So, they gave him another shot for that. They are going to hold off on the circumcision because of the blood count and they even said I could wait and have it done when we get home. They changed his formula because they thought the other may be giving him a little heartburn which could contribute to the oxygen issue. So with that and giving him another shot, maybe that will help get him on the right track again. He did gain weight and is now at 5 lb. 8.5 oz.

So, here I am, still waiting to come home. Not a happy camper!

2 comments:

  1. I know it's hard. Continue to have patience. That is going to be a big word. There is NO place like home. I LOVE seeing his pictures...he is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know it's frustrating to not be able to go home with Elliott yet. It seems like they are really playing with your emotions about when you're going. With us, they wouldn't even talk about going home until the day or two before and then they shocked us with the news! There was so much to do before we could go. They've gotten your hopes up so many times to then change their mind...sorry you're having to deal with the roller coaster again. We did do Dawson's circumcision at our hospital here at home. He had it in April after being born in December. Either way will be fine, I'm sure. Also, sounds like his eye exam turned out pretty good! He's growing like a weed and will be home before you know it! Still praying for you. Have a great week at home. Hope your baby shower is tons of fun!

    ReplyDelete