Sunday, August 30, 2009

Just called to check on Elliott before we go to bed. The first thing I wanted to know was what the doctor meant by ruling out "every possible thing". The nurse, Jamie, said that Elliott's latest x-ray looked a little suspicious and so the doctor is now not completely ruling out NEC, which is the gastro intestinal problem that can be very serious. He is still thinking it is just the colitis type problem, but until little Elliott has a BM that they can have lab work done on, he is not sure. Elliott's IV now has vitamins, minerals and fats in it so he won't lose any more weight, and the nurse said it could possibly be up to five days that they keep him off food. The doctors will evaluate again tomorrow and they will give me an update. She did say again that the good thing is that Elliott is not showing any other signs of NEC, so hopefully that is not what he has. She said that they are considering giving Elliott a suppository to help him have a BM but sometimes that can cause blood in the stool and they don't want to confuse that with blood from the other issue. So, we really need Elliott to have a BM on his own tonight so the doctor can send it out tomorrow for lab work to rule out NEC.

That's all I know for now, so as we continue to pray for Elliott's health, we ask that you do the same. I wish I could do something for him, but lifting him up to the great physician is the best thing to do. We are still concerned, but we are trying not to stay focused on the what ifs.

I'll update in the morning.

1 comment: