Friday, May 7, 2010

GOTCHA DAY!


















It's finally over. The adoption is final! I didn't think it would ever come, and the way it happened was a whirlwind, as things usually are with lawyers. We've been waiting and waiting and waiting. As a side note, a lot of people have said, "I thought it was already final." Actually, all this time we have only had guardianship of E. He had to be in our home for six months before it could be finalized and also the father's rights had to be terminated by the court and that's what we have been waiting for. That's why we have been on eggshells since we brought E home. If the father had come forward and wanted him back, we would have had to give him up. Anyway, on with the story.
Last Friday around 2:00 p.m. our lawyer called and said we would be going to court on Monday, May 3rd at 8:30 in the morning..........WHHHHAAATTTT? I couldn't believe I was hearing him say the words, but it was true. Nothing like waiting till the last minute to let us know!
Brett and I just kept looking at each other saying, "he's really ours forever. He's really gonna be ours in just a few days!" You would think that it wouldn't be that big of a deal since we've had him for so long now, but just knowing for sure, without a doubt, that he is ours and nothing can change that now is an amazing feeling!

Adoption day or "Gotcha Day" as my friend Becky called it couldn't have been more perfect. Elliott was in such a happy mood, we were blessed with many friends from church who came to court with us, and everything went smoothly. My friend Laura's daughter took amazing pictures for us that captured what a happy day it was.

We celebrated afterward by going out to lunch and then taking E to the zoo for the first time. It was a big day for him!
We are so thankful to God that he gave E to us. He has completed our family and has brought us so much joy already. We don't even remember what life was like without him, and the many years we have waited for a child have vanished. He is officially our son!

We love you E! :o)


1 comment:

  1. I love the pics...esp. the vintage looking ones. I know you are so relieved. Enjoy your summer!

    ReplyDelete